Homeschooling in the Desert...

Welcome to our homeschool! We've been homeschooling since April 2007 - over 3 years now! We have 5 children and we homeschool the 3 youngest. At this time, they are 13, 11, and 10. We're finishing up 8th, 5th, and 4th grades. The purpose of our homeschool blog is to illustrate to our family and friends our chosen lifestyle... what we learn, how we learn, when we learn, etc.
Please feel free to follow along, to ask questions, to comment on our progress!

Saturday, September 15, 2012

2 Down, 50 To Go!

Well, the first two weeks of our homeschool year are complete!
 
Did I mention my panic attack after our first day of school? 
 
Ok, so it was a minor attack. Nonetheless, it was a panic attack.
 
I realized several things...
 
- It was going to take me about 8 hrs to homeschool all three kids at the rate we were going.
8 hrs a day, 5 days a week. GULP!
 
- Guitar's science program wasn't going to work... the Solutions & Test Manual is no longer in print. The only one I've found is on Amazon, and the seller literally has a price tag of $599.00.  I emailed him to see if that was a typo... never heard back.
 
- I didn't have a science program for Chicklet. Nope, not a one.
 
- I can't find the 2nd year of Winston Grammar. GULP!
 
- Our Japanese program (Rosetta Stone) is an older version and we can't get it going.
 
- I was going to have to do spelling, writing, poetry, dictation/copy, grammar, and reading with  3 different people. At 3 different levels. GULP!
 
- The cool Latin program looked way more difficult than I thought it would be.
 
Sigh.
 
It took us 2 hrs to get through just Bible, math, and maybe reading?
 
Breathe.... I needed to breathe.
 
So I did. I bounced some ideas around.... went searching through boxes of curriculum I have hiding.  I found the Lifepac L. Arts 7th grade I had purchased at a used curriculum fair.  It seems to cover spelling, writing, poetry, grammar, and some reading. 
Sold.
 
Ordered a set for my 8th and my 11th grader.
 
Chicket seems to be doing well with the Lifepac L.Arts, so I purchased the Science for her too.
 
Pheeeew... I am breathing.
 
I ordered the schedule for the Latin program.  The book breaks the Latin down into units, into weekly assignments.  I scheduled their first week over 2 of our weeks, just to give us some 'breathing' room.
We got through their first week's schedule in one of our weeks.
 
Breathing a little easier now.
 
I ordered Guitar's Science on a cd. It's the full curriculum, just for the computer. We are awaiting it's arrival.  It has the Solutions & Tests on it as well.
 
Big, deep breath. Aaaahhh.
 
***********************************
 
We joined a new homeschool group this year...
 
next post will be from some of our gatherings.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment